LOYOLA PUBLIC SERVICE INSTITUTE & LMU GLOBAL POLICY INSTITUTE PARTNER FOR “CELEBRATING PUBLIC SERVICE” INAUGURAL EVENT
The Loyola Public Service Institute (LPSI) and LMU’s Global Policy Institute will host “Celebrating Public Service.” The conference is designed to inspire the next generation of public service leaders.
The conference will be held on Thursday, Feb. 21 at Loyola Marymount, and Friday, Feb. 22 at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. The event will feature judges, legislators, prosecutors and scholars discussing their careers in public interest fields, including a keynote address by U.S. Rep. Ted Lieu.
“We are thrilled to bring an illustrious group of speakers to Loyola Marymount University and Loyola Law School. We hope this two-day conference will help our students, graduates and others learn from and interact with professionals who have served in all levels of government,” said Professor Jessica A. Levinson, founding director of the LPSI. “Our goal is to help current students and professionals become leaders in government service.”
The events of Thursday, Feb. 21 will be held at the William H. Hannon Library, Von Der Ahe Family Suite 322, 1 LMU Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045. The events of Friday, Feb. 22 will be held in the Lack Reading Room, William M. Rains Library, Loyola Law School, 919 Albany St., Los Angeles, CA 90015.
The LPSI is made possible through the support of Hon. Patty Schnegg ’77 and William Oppenheim. More information is available at www.lls.edu/psi.
Thursday, Feb. 21 at Loyola Marymount University
1:30-3 pm: Panel
- Laura Brill, Former Law Clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg; Founder/Director, The Civics Center
- David Katz, Criminal Defense Attorney; Former Assistant U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles & Law Clerk to U.S. District Judge John Garrett Penn, Washington, D.C.
- Kevin Sloat, Lobbyist; Former Executive Branch Legislative Secretary & Legislative Chief of Staff to California Gov. Pete Wilson
- Moderator: Fernando Guerra, Professor of Political Science & Chicana/o Latina/o Studies; Director of the Thomas & Dorothy Leavey Center for the Study of Los Angeles, LMU
Friday, Feb. 22 at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
10-10:30 a.m.: Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Jessica Levinson ’05 (LMU ‘02), Director, Loyola Public Service Institute, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles; Former President, Los Angeles Ethics Commission
- Michael Waterstone, Fritz B. Burns Dean, Loyola Law School
- Ron Galperin ’94, Los Angeles City Controller
10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.: The Lawyer as Public Servant
- Ben Allen, California State Senator
- Lane Dilg, Santa Monica City Attorney
- Rupa S. Goswami, Los Angeles Superior Court; Former Federal Prosecutor
- Paul Rosen Partner at Crowell Moring & Former Chief of Staff, Department of Homeland Security
- Moderator: Jessica Levinson
12-1:30 pm: Lunch Keynote Address – U.S. Rep. Ted Lieu (CA)