We had the pleasure of celebrating the Class of 2019 during Loyola Law School's 98th Commencement Exercises. Re-live the commencement ceremony by watching the livestream here.
The Loyola Law School Commencement Ceremony will be held on Sunday, May 19, 2019 at Loyola Marymount University's Westchester campus, 1 LMU Drive, Los Angeles, 90045.
The Commencement Ceremony will begin promptly at 12 pm and is expected to conclude by 2 pm. Guest and graduate seating is in the Sunken Garden area. Tickets are not required to attend the graduation ceremony. Refreshments will be provided immediately following the ceremony.
10:00 am - Student Robing, St. Robert's Auditorium
11:00 am - Class photos by degree programs
12:00 pm - Commencement Ceremony begins
2:00 pm - Refreshments
- Rain or shine, Commencement will go on as planned! In the event that the chance of rain materializes, we have taken steps to keep you dry. We have added additional tents in LMU’s Sunken Garden and will have ponchos on hand for you in the robing area of St. Robert’s if needed. We have also added a feature: a live webstream of the ceremony at https://livestream.lls.edu that will allow your family and guests to view the ceremony from indoors in the event of showers. The feed will be simulcast in Room 120 of the nearby Seaver Life Sciences Building, which will have limited indoor seating. [See LMU interactive campus map.]
- Post your Commencement-related photos to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using #LLS19 (#LoyolaLaw2019 or #LLS2019 also accepted) for a chance to win LLS swag!
- View #LLS19 social media posts at lls.edu/LLS19.
- Class photos: Please be photo-ready in your Commencement regalia in Lawton Plaza by 11 a.m. to begin taking class photos. This is the area across the street from the robing area in St. Robert’s, which you should plan to exit by 10:50 a.m. to get to the photo on time. We will take photos of each class by degree program: JD, FTA LLM, Tax LLM, MLS, MT and JSD. Graduates of dual-degree programs should stand for photos of both degree programs. If we need to alter plans because of rain, we will make announcements in St. Robert’s.
- Name pronunciation: If you suspect your name may be challenging for the Commencement card reader, you are encouraged to clearly write it phonetically on the name card you present on stage. Need help in writing your name out phonetically? Consult https://inogolo.com/.
- Processional: After class photos, you will line up along the pathway directly in front of St. Robert’s. The processional order by degree will be MT, MLS, LLM, JSD and JD.
- Stage photos: GradImages, our Commencement photographer, will take multiple photos of you as you walk up to and receive your degree. Pre-register at https://www.gradimages.com/Preregistration/Register?ClientID=244&OccasionRef=130098 to receive updates when your photos are available and for an exclusive 20% off coupon.
Justice Groban began serving on the California Supreme Court in January 2019. Previously he was the Senior Advisor to Governor Jerry Brown and advised the governor on judicial appointments, legal policy and legislative issues. Justice Groban advised the governor on the appointment of over 600 judges, or roughly one out of every three judges in the state. He received numerous awards from bar groups and other legal organizations for his work on judicial appointments. He also served on a local school board, participated in mentor programs for college and law students, and frequently lectured on judicial appointments. Justice Groban has also taught State Appellate Practice at the UCLA School of Law.
Justice Groban had previously been in private practice, where he specialized in complex civil litigation, with a focus on antitrust, internal investigations, and intellectual property.
Justice Groban grew up in San Diego, where he attended public schools. He received his bachelor’s degree with honors and distinction from Stanford University. He received his J.D. from Harvard Law School, where he graduated cum laude. Following graduation, he clerked for the Honorable William C. Conner in the Southern District of New York.
Other event information
Information for Alumni Presenters
Graduates may choose to have a grandparent, parent, uncle, aunt, sibling, or spouse who is a graduate of Loyola Law School present their diploma in the ceremony. (The presenter must be a graduate of Loyola Law School and be related as listed above.)
The presenter will participate in both the processional and the commencement ceremony.
Graduates who wish to have a presenter at the commencement ceremony should complete the Presenter Form and order their presenter's regalia no later than Wednesday, March 20.
- Presenter information can be found here and must be completed before participating in steps below.
- Gown with the faculty in the Ahmanson Dining Room no later than 11:15 a.m.
- Presenters (plus one guest) are invited to Brunch at 10:30 a.m. in the Ahmanson Dining Room.
For more information regarding logistical details for commencement, please contact Conferences & Events at (213) 736-1423.
For graduation requirements, please contact The Office of the Registrar at (213) 736-1130.