Professor of Law
W. Joseph Ford Fellow
- International Law
- International Protection of Human Rights
- MA, University of Milano
- DES, University of Geneva, Graduate Institute of International Studies
- LLM, New York University, School of Law
- PhD, University of Geneva, Graduate Institute of International Studies
Cesare P.R. Romano holds degrees in three different disciplines (political science, international relations and law) from three countries (Italy, Switzerland and the United States). His scholarship and teaching reflect the variety of his background.
His expertise is in public international law, and in particular international human rights and international courts and tribunals.
Between 1996 and 2006, he created, developed and managed the Project on International Courts and Tribunals, a joint undertaking of the Center on International Cooperation, New York University, and the Centre for International Courts and Tribunals at University College London, becoming a world-renowned authority in the field.
In 2011, Professor Romano decided to put his considerable knowledge on the law and procedure of international adjudicative bodies to the service of victims of human rights violations. He founded the International Human Rights Center at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. Since then, he has led his students in the litigation of dozens of cases before the Inter-American Commission of Human Rights and specialized United Nations human rights bodies (e.g., the Human Rights Committee; the Committee of the Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women; the Committee of the Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights).
In 2018, he helped establishing and joined the Steering Committee of Science for Democracy, a Brussels-based NGO whose goal is to promote the human right to science (i.e. the right to benefit from progress in science and technology) and the rights of science (i.e. the right of scientists to carry our research without undue interference).
Besides teaching at Loyola, every year Prof. Romano teaches as visiting or adjunct professor in several universities in the U.S. and Europe. Currently, he is Senior Research Fellow at iCourts, Center of Excellence for International Courts, University of Copenhagen, and at the Centre for the Study of the Legitimate Roles of the Judiciary in the Global Order, University of Oslo, Norway."
- Boggio A./Romano C./Almqvist J. (eds.), A Boggio/C Romano/J Almqvist (eds.) Human Germline Genome Modification and the Right to Science: A Comparative Study of National Laws and Policies, Cambridge University Press, 2019 (ISBN: 9781108499873).
- Romano C./Alter K./Shany Y. (eds.), The Oxford University Press Handbook of International Adjudication, Oxford University Press, 2014 (ISBN: 978019966068-1).
- Mackenzie R./Romano C./ Sands P./Shany Y. (eds.), The Manual on International Courts and Tribunals, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, 2010 (ISBN: 9780199545278).
- Romano C. (ed.), The Sword and the Scales: The United States and International Courts and Tribunals, Cambridge University Press, 2009 (ISBN: 9780521728713).
- Terris, D./Romano, C./Swigart, L., The International Judge: An Introduction to the Men and Women who Decide the World’s Cases, (with foreword by Justice Sonya Sotomayor) Brandeis University Press (USA publ. ISBN: 978-1584656661) – Oxford University Press (rest of the World ISBN 978-0-19-923873-6), 2007.
- Romano C./Nollkaemper, A./Kleffner, J. (eds.), Internationalized Criminal Courts and Tribunals: Sierra Leone, East Timor, Kosovo and Cambodia, Oxford University Press, 2004 (ISBN 0199276749).
- Boisson de Chazournes, L./Romano, C./Mackenzie, R. (eds.), International Organizations and International Dispute Settlement: Trends and Prospects, Transnational Publishers, 2002, 283 pp. (ISBN: 1-57105-273-9)
- Romano, C., The Peaceful Settlement of International Environmental Disputes: A Pragmatic Approach, Kluwer, 2000, pp. XLV-395, (ISBN: 904-411-9808-3)
- Boisson de Chazournes, L./Desgagne, R./Romano, C., La protection internationale de l’environnement: Recueil d’instruments juridiques, Pedone, 1998, 1.118 pp. (ISBN : 2-233-00326-8) (2nd edition, 2005 Boisson de Chazournes, L./Desgagne, R./Mbengue, M./Romano, C., 2006, ISBN: 2-233-00482-5)
Articles and Papers
- (with Andrea Boggio, Bartha M. Knoppers, and Jessica Almqvist), “The Human Right to Science and the Regulation of Human Germline Engineering”, The CRISPR Journal, Vol. 2, No. 3, 2019, pp. 134-142.
- “The Long Road Towards an International Legal Order”, in Brazilian Society of International Law Bulletin (Boletim da Sociedade Brasileira de Direito Internacional) – Centenary Edition, 2016.
- “A Taxonomy of International Rule of Law Institutions”, Journal of International Dispute Settlement, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2011, pp. 241-277.
- “Deciphering the Grammar of the International Jurisprudential Dialogue”, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, Vol. 41, No. 4, 2009, pp. 755-787.
- “Can You Hear Me Now? Making the Case for Extending the International Judicial Network”, Chicago Journal of International Law, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2009, pp. 233-273.
- “The Shift from the Consensual to the Compulsory Paradigm in International Adjudication: Elements for a Theory of Consent”, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2007, pp. 791-872.
- “El lado oscuro de la luna: fragmentación de las instituciones que aplican normas jurídicas internacionales”, Puente @ Europa, Vol. 5, No. 2, July 2007, "El sistema jurídico internacional y sus tensiones: fragmentación y vocación universal", pp. 28-36.
- “Case C-459/03 Commission v. Ireland”, American Journal of International Law, Vol. 101, 2007, pp.171-178.
- “Reforming the United Nations: What about the International Court of Justice?”, in ABILA Committee on Intergovernmental Settlement of Disputes, Report, Chinese Journal of International Law, Vol. 5, 2006, pp. 39-65.
- “International Courts and Tribunals: Price, Financing and Output”, in Stefan Voigt, Max Albert & Dieter Schmidtchen, International Conflict Resolution, Conferences on New Political Economy (Jahrbuch für neue Politische Ökonomie) 23, 2006, pp. 189-245.
- “The Price of International Justice”, The Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals, Vol. 4, 2005, pp. 281–328.
- “The Settlement of Disputes under the 1982 Law of the Sea Convention: How Entangled Can We Get?”, Journal of International Law and Diplomacy, Vol. 103, 2004, pp. 84-106.
- “The Americanization of International Litigation”, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, Vol. 19, N. 1, 2003, pp.89-119.
- (with Thèo Boutrouche), “Tribunaux pénaux internationalisés: état des lieux d’une justice «hybride»”, Revue générale de droit international public, 107, 2003, No. 1, pp. 109-124.
- “Mixed Jurisdictions for East Timor, Kosovo Sierra Leone and Cambodia: The Coming Of Age of Internationalized Criminal Bodies?”, Yearbook of International Law and Jurisprudence, Vol. 2, 2002, pp. 97-138.
- “International Justice and Developing Countries (cont.): A Qualitative Analysis”, Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2002, pp. 539–611.
- “International Justice and Developing Countries: A Quantitative Analysis”, Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2002, pp. 367-399.
- “The Southern Bluefin Tuna Dispute: Hints of a World to Come…Like it or Not”, Ocean Development and International Law, Vol. 32, 2001, pp. 313-348.
- “The Proliferation of International Judicial Bodies: The Pieces of the Puzzle”, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, Vol. 31, 1999, pp. 709-751.
- “Woe to the Vanquished? A Comparative Analysis of the Reparations Process after World War I (1914-1918) and the Gulf War (1990-1991)”, Austrian Review of International and European Law, Vol. 2, 1998, pp. 1-29.
- "La Caspienne: Un flou juridique source de conflits", Cahiers d’études sur la Mediterranée orientale et le monde Turco-Iranien, n. 23, 1997, pp. 39-64 (translated and published in Turkish in: Journal of Erzincan University Faculty of Law, Vol. XIV, No. 3-4, 2017).
Contributions to Collective Works
- “The Governance of Human (Germline) Genome Modification at the International and Transnational Level” (Romano/Boggio/Almqvist), in Andrea Boggio/Cesare Romano/Jessica Almqvist (eds.) Human Germline Genome Modification and the Right to Science: A Comparative Study of National Laws and Policies, Cambridge, CUP (2019).
- “Europe” (Almqvist/Romano), in Andrea Boggio/Cesare Romano/Jessica Almqvist (eds.) Human Germline Genome Modification and the Right to Science: A Comparative Study of National Laws and Policies, Cambridge, CUP (2019).
- “Towards a Human Rights Framework for the Regulation of Human Germline Genome Modification” (Boggio/Romano/Almqvist), in Andrea Boggio/Cesare Romano/Jessica Almqvist (eds.) Human Germline Genome Modification and the Right to Science: A Comparative Study of National Laws and Policies, Cambridge, CUP (2019).
- “International Adjudication in the Arab World”, in Ignacio de la Rasilla del Moral and Jorge Viñuales (eds.), Experiments in International Adjudication, Cambridge University Press, 2018
- “Freedom of Research and the Right to Science. From Theory to Advocacy” (with Andrea Boggio) in Simona Giordano, Lucio Piccirillo, and John Harris (eds.), The Freedom of Scientific Research: Bridging the Gap between Science and Society, Manchester University Press, 2018, pp. 162-175.
- “Avena and Other Mexican Nationals (México v. United States of America), 2003 and Request for Interpretation of the Judgment of 31 March 2004 in the Case concerning Avena and Other Mexican Nationals (Mexico v. United States of America), 2008” in Paula Wojcikiewicz Almeida and Jean-Marc Sorel (eds.), Latin America and the International Court of Justice: Contributions to International Law, Routledge, 2017, pp. 183-194.
- “The Architecture of International Justice” (with Francesco Sebregondi), in Forensic Architecture (ed.), Forensis: The Architecture of Public Truth, Sternberg Press, 2014, pp. 317-326.
- “Litigating International Disputes: Whereto?” in Natalie Klein (ed.), Litigating International Law Disputes: Weighing the Options, Cambridge University Press, 2014, pp. 460-471.
- “The Shadow Zones of International Judicialization”, in Romano C./Alter K./Shany Y. (eds.), The Oxford University Press Handbook of International Adjudication, Oxford University Press, 2014, pp. 90-110.
- “Trial and Error in International Judicialization”, in Romano C./Alter K./Shany Y. (eds.), The Oxford University Press Handbook of International Adjudication, Oxford University Press, 2014, pp. 111-134.
- “The Rule of Exhaustion of Domestic Remedies: The Theory and Practice in International Human Rights Procedures”, in Boschiero, N.; Scovazzi, T.; Pitea, C.; Ragni, C. (Eds.), International Courts and the Development of International Law: Essays in Honor of Judge Tullio Treves, TMC Asser 2013, pp. 555-566.
- “The role of experts in international adjudication - Le rôle des experts dans l'adjudication international”, in Société française pour le droit international, Le droit international face aux enjeux environnementaux: colloques de Aix-en-Provence, Paris, Pedone, 2010, pp. 181-187.
- “The United States and International Courts: Getting the Cost-Benefit Analysis Right”, in Romano C. (ed.), The Sword and the Scales: The United States and International Courts and Tribunals, Cambridge, CUP, 2009, pp. 419-444.
- “Progress in International Adjudication: Revisiting Hudson’s Assessment of the Future of International Courts”, in Miller R. / Bratspies R. (eds.), Progress in International Law, Leiden, Brill, 2008, pp. 433–450.
- “International Dispute Settlement”, in Bodansky D./ Brunnée, J./ Hey, E. (eds.), Oxford Handbook of International Environmental Law, Oxford, OUP, 2007, pp. 1038-1056.
- “L’obligation de prévention de catastrophes industrielles et naturelles”, in Leben, Ch./Caron, D., Les aspects internationaux des catastrophes naturelles et industrielles, The Hague, Hague Academy of International Law, 2001, pp. 379-425.
- “The Caspian and International Law: Like Oil and Water?”, in Ascher, W./Mirovitskaya, N., (eds.), The Caspian Sea: A Quest for Environmental Security, Kluwer, London, 2000, pp.145-161.