Associate Clinical Professor of Law
Director of Transactional Lawyering Institute
- Business Planning: Financing the Start Up Business and Venture Capital Finance
- Transaction Negotiation Team
- BA, UC San Diego
- JD, Emory University School of Law
Stephen Kong is the Director of the Transactional Lawyering Institute (“TLI”) and is a Clinical Associate Professor of Law. He is responsible for directing the activities of the TLI which prepares students for a career in corporate and transactional law through classwork, experiential learning opportunities, and interaction with practicing emerging growth, M&A, corporate, commercial and technology transaction attorneys.
He will initially be teaching sections of the TLI’s foundational course ”Business Planning: Financing the Start-Up Business and Venture Capital Financing” and leading the Transaction Negotiation Team course. He will also be joining TLI founder Professor Therese Maynard as a co-author on the fifth edition of her casebook for the Business Planning course. He has written articles on the NVCA model stock purchase agreement and lectured on commercial contracting and IP topics for practicing attorneys.
He was most recently a partner in the corporate group at Winston and Strawn in their Los Angeles office focusing on technology transactions. He has also been a partner at Troutman Pepper, Stradling Yocca and Townsend and Townsend and Crew (now “Kilpatrick Townsend”). He has also been an in-house counsel for Sony’s Playstation entity where he worked on several of the early content streaming transactions for the Sony Playstation platform. His practice was at the intersection of technology, corporate law and intellectual property and he represented buyers and sellers of technology companies as well as representing companies in their intellectual property transactional and commercialization activities.
- “Analysis of the IP Representations in the NVCA Form—Considering Necessary Revisions”, Business Law Today January 2021
- “Suggested Revisions To The Intellectual Property Representations In The NVCA Model Stock Purchase Agreement Form”, Preferred Returns (newsletter for ABA Business Law Section), Fall 2020.
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- 2020 Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association Corporate/Intellectual Property Transactions Committee Event, Los Angeles, CA; October 2020; Moderator, “Pooling in a Pandemic: The Value and Prospects of the Open COVID Pledge”.
- 2017 National Asian Pacific Islander Bar Association (NAPABA) Annual Conference; Washington D.C.; November 2017; Panelist, “Wheel of Misfortune: Dealing with Financially Distressed Tech Companies”.
- 2008 National Asian Pacific Islander Bar Association (NAPABA) Annual Conference; Seattle, WA; November 2008; Panelist, “Why Hollywood Loves and Hates Consumers: Legal Issues of the User-Generated Content Boom”.
- 2007 IP and the Internet Conference Presented By The Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of California; Santa Monica, CA; August 2007; Panelist, “Open Source: Managing the Present, Anticipating the Future”.
- San Diego Association of Corporate Counsel Contract Training Series; San Diego, CA; Various in 2015-2016; Lead Presenter, various contract drafting training sessions.
- Emory University Ti:GER Program (technology commercialization program run jointly between Emory Law and Georgia Tech Engineering and Georgia Tech Business School) Related Speaking Engagements: 2017 Innovation Conference in March 2017 and in-class guest lecturer on technology transactions law practice in February 2023.