Hon. William Matthew Byrne, Jr. Chair
Professor of Law
- Trademark Law
- International Trade
- Copyright Law
- International Intellectual Property
- Copyright and New Technologies
- BA, Oberlin College
- JD, Harvard University
Prior to joining Loyola in 2013, Professor Justin Hughes taught at Cardozo Law School. There students voted him best professor in 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011. He also served as director of Cardozo’s Intellectual Property Program, 2004 through 2008, and founded the law school’s Indie Film Clinic, the first of its kind.
From 2009 through 2013, Professor Hughes also worked in the Obama Administration as Senior Advisor to the Undersecretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property. In that capacity he was the United States chief negotiator for the Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances (2012) and the Marrakesh Treaty for the Blind (2013).
In the 1990s, Professor Hughes did volunteer work in democracy development in Latin America, West Africa and the Balkans. He has practiced law in Paris and Los Angeles. As a Henry Luce Scholar, he clerked for the Lord President of the Malaysian Supreme Court in Kuala Lumpur.
- "The Limited Promise of Geographical Indications for Developing Country Farmers," (book chapter forthcoming from Cambridge University Press, 2016).
- "Copyright and Distributive Justice," 92 Notre Dame L. Rev (2016) (with Robert Merges.
- "Motion Pictures, Markets, cand Copylocks," 23 George Mason L. Rev. (2016).