Director, William M. Rains Library
Clinical Professor of Law
- Legal Research
- BA, cum laude, University of California, San Diego
- JD, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- MLIS, University of California, Los Angeles
Cheryl Kelly Fischer is Director of the William M. Rains Library and Clinical Professor of Law. Prior to joining the Loyola Law School faculty, Professor Fischer spent 15 years at UCLA School of Law, where she taught Advanced Legal Research and served as the law library’s Head of Instructional Services. While at UCLA, she also taught legal research skills in numerous law and non-law courses on campus, supervised scores of faculty research assistants, and served as liaison to more than a dozen law reviews and journals.
Fischer has a bachelors in Theatre with minors in Political Science and Law & Society, and a masters in Library and Information Science. She earned her J.D. from UCLA School of Law, where she was Executive Editor of the UCLA Law Review, Chief Managing Editor of the UCLA Entertainment Law Review, a teaching assistant for Lawyering Skills, and a law library research assistant. Following law school, Fischer worked as an associate at Jones Day, where she practiced in both litigation and business practice groups.
Fischer is an active member of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) and the Southern California Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries (SCALL). She serves on committees and juries of the associations and of their special interest sections. She is a contributing author in Introduction to Law Librarianship (2021) and Law Librarianship in the Digital Age (2014).
- Student Services and Engagement, in Introduction to Law Librarianship (with S. Pal & A. Wolotira) (edited by Cas Laskowski & Zanada Joyner, Pressbooks, 2021)
- Open Access to Legal Scholarship, in Law Librarianship in the Digital Age (with V. Steiner) (edited by Allyssa Kroski, Scarecrow Press, 2014)
- Helping Millennials Find U.S. Supreme Court Cases Online, 36 Reference Services Rev. 245 (2008)