How to Enroll in Field Placement For Units

How to Enroll in an Externship For Units

Congratulations on securing your externship. Enrollment is a simple procedure and this protocol will walk you through it.

 If you are enrolling in an off campus externship in judicial chambers, a government agency, or a public interest law firm, here are the steps:

  1. You may not enroll in these placements through Camille Toomer, the Externship Department administrative assistant, is the only person who can provide a CRN number for your enrollment.
  2. Go on the Externship website and click on the “forms” tab. Complete an application. Complete a contact sheet. Add a copy of your resume. 
  3. You may either bring these forms into the Externship Department, Founders Hall 240, or you may email them to With this email, let Ms. Toomer know how many units you plan to take for this externship. Each unit = 52 hours, or four hours per week over a 13 week semester. If you plan to be at your placement for 16 hours per week, then you would enroll for four units.  If you plan to be at your placement for 24 hours per week (three 8 hour days) then you will enroll for six units. You may also enroll for 3 units or 5 units if that is something your supervising attorney or clerk agrees to.
  4. When Camille gets your application paperwork, she will email you a handbook with information regarding the mandatory class meeting for the course on “Ethics, Professionalism and Course Requirements.” You must attend the scheduled class meeting, or you risk not being enrolled. When you attend class and submit your signed performance agreement as required in class, Camille will email you your CRN number for you to add your externship. So please check your emails.

You will not be enrolled in your externship until you attend the mandatory meeting. Just to be safe, we recommend that you enroll in a full slate of classes as soon as registration begins for the semester in which you wish to enroll in your externship. When Camille creates your CRN number for enrollment she will email you the CRN to add your externship.  If you have any questions on how to drop  a class please contact the registrar's office.

If you wish to enroll in the Loyola Immigration Clinic, the Center for Juvenile Law and Policy, the Hobbs Trial Advocacy program, the Semester in Practice, the Private Law Firm Placement program or program other than the off campus program described above, you must contact the faculty member in charge of the program for enrollment procedures.