News and Events
Loyola Corporate and Business Law Faculty News
- Prof. Guttentag organized and moderated discussion groups on Recent Developments in Securities Regulation (with Joan Heminway) and Business Ethics and the Law (with John Anderson) at the Southeastern Association of Law Schools (Aug. 2015).
- Prof. Pollman featured with co-author Margaret Blair (Vanderbilt) on Columbia Law School's Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets (July 2015).
- Prof. Guttentag presented Harmonizing the Insider Trading Prohibition and Disclosure Regulation at the National Business Law Conference (June 2015).
- Prof. Pollman on "Corporate Law and Theory in Hobby Lobby" in forthcoming chapter of Oxford University Press book (May 2015).
- Prof. Guttentag quoted by Reuters about issues raised by an SEC director with significant securities holdings (Nov. 2014).
- Prof. Guttentag quoted in Wall Street Journal about corporate political spending (Aug. 2014).
- Prof. Maynard recently completed the third edition of her text, Mergers and Acquisitions: Cases, Materials and Problems, published by Aspen.
- Corporations, the Constitution and Democracy, November 20, 2015. An afternoon symposium held at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles on advancing a new jurisprudence on the constitutional rights of corporations and money in politics, with a keynote address by the Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court, the Honorable Leo E. Strine, Jr. Panelists were: Margaret Blair, Adam Winkler, James Nelson, Sarah Haan, Anne Tucker ("The Future of Corporate Constitutional Rights Litigation and Theory") and Erwin Chemerinsky, Richard Hasen, Michael Kang, Michele Sutter, Jeff Clements, Abby Wood and Jessica Levinson ("Democracy, Corporations, and Money in Politics"). Closing remarks by John Bonifaz and Elizabeth Pollman.
- A copy of Chief Justice Strine's formal written address may be accessed here, and will be published in a forthcoming issue of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review.
- Perspectives of an Emerging Company Lawyer, featuring Bob O'Connor '93, corporate partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati - October 22, 2015.
- IESC Speaker Series - October 14, 2015. Afshin Pishevar, Chief Legal Officer of Hyperloop Technologies, and David Kellison, law clerk (USC class of 2016).
- Career Advice for 3Ls - September 30, 2015. Featuring Sean Montgomery '13, Sujata (Patel) Wiese '13, Graham Scherr (Career Development), and Profs. Trevino, Maynard and Pollman.
Click here for recordings of the above events as they become available (Loyola Law student or faculty login needed).
The Patrick J. McDonough Directorship is a result of the generosity of Howrey LLP in memory of Patrick McDonough, who passed away in March, 2009. Mr. McDonough was a Loyola Law School graduate who was part of Howrey’s insurance recovery practice group. During an outstanding legal career, which included acting as general counsel to the international insurance and consulting firm Johnson & Higgins and participating in the founding of the Institute for Corporate Counsel, Mr. McDonough was well known for mentoring young attorneys and helping them to advance their careers.
In November 2009, then Loyola Law School Dean Victor Gold announced the appointment of Dana Warren as the first Patrick J. McDonough Director of the Business Law Practicum. Together with Faculty Co-Director Therese Maynard, Professor Warren published a casebook through Aspen Publishers, which is based on the Business Planning course materials. Now in its second edition, Business Planning I: Financing the Start-Up Business and Venture Capital Financing, 2d. Ed. is available here. Since its inception at Loyola, Business Planning I has grown in popularity among students, with the course now being offered in several sections during both the Fall and Spring semesters. In July 2015, Professor Shannon Treviño succeeded Professor Warren as Director following his retirement.