A minimum of 16 units of qualifying courses is required for the IP Concentration. For students in the Patent & Technology Sub-Concentration, 12 of the 16 units must be taken from the courses listed below. The remaining 4 units must be taken from courses listed in the list of qualifying courses for the IP Concentration. At least one starred course (*) must be taken in each category. All other IP Concentration requirements must be satisfied.
- Patent Law (2 or 3) (R)
Key Electives (2-9 units)
- Administrative Law or (Intro to Admin Law) (3)v
- Federal Courts (3)
- Internet Law (Cyber Law) (2) (*)
- Introduction to Intellectual Property (3)vi
- IP in the Digital Age (Software Law)
- IP Licensing/Transactions (2)(*)
- Licensing in an International Context
- Patent Litigation (2) (*)
- Technology & Privacy (3) (*)
Other Electives (2-6 units)
- Business Planning: Financing the Start-Up Business & Venture Capital Financing (3)
- Cybercrime (2) (*)
- Digital Media and the Law (2) (*)
- Law of Video Games/Online Virtual Worlds
Capstones (1 required)
- Federal Court Externship - Patent Pilot Program (*)
- Patent/Tech-related IP Externship/Internship (2) (*)
- IP Honors Colloquium (2) (*)
- IP Internship/Externshipxiii
- Patent Prosecution Practicum (3) (*)
- USPTO Patent Experience Extern Program (0-6)xv (*)
*Patent Litigation or Patent Prosecution may substitute for Patent Law with Advisor's approval.
ivMay be offered as Antitrust in a Global Context. Any of the Antitrust electives may substitute for this course. Only 1 Antitrust class can be counted toward the concentration. Global Antitrust has also been offered as Comparative Antitrust some semesters.
vThis course may be taken either as a first year elective or upper-level course, but not both.
viThis course may be taken either as a first year elective or upper class course, but not both. It may not be taken after completion of Copyright, Patent or Trademark Law.
xiiiExternship must be pre-approved by Faculty Advisor to count toward the concentration or sub-concentrations.
xvThis externship is offered only at the US Patent & Trademark Office, in Alexandria, VA. Students can earn up to 6 credit units for successful completion.
Intellectual Property Law Concentration
919 Albany St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015