News and Business Law Practicum History
Loyola Corporate and Business Law Faculty News
- Prof. Guttentag organized and moderated discussion groups on Recent Developments in Securities Regulation (with Joan Heminway) and Business Ethics and the Law (with John Anderson) at the Southeastern Association of Law Schools (Aug. 2015).
- Prof. Pollman featured with co-author Margaret Blair (Vanderbilt) on Columbia Law School's Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets (July 2015).
- Prof. Guttentag presented Harmonizing the Insider Trading Prohibition and Disclosure Regulation at the National Business Law Conference (June 2015).
- Prof. Pollman on "Corporate Law and Theory in Hobby Lobby" in forthcoming chapter of Oxford University Press book (May 2015).
- Prof. Guttentag quoted by Reuters about issues raised by an SEC director with significant securities holdings (Nov. 2014).
- Prof. Guttentag quoted in Wall Street Journal about corporate political spending (Aug. 2014).
- Prof. Maynard recently completed the third edition of her text, Mergers and Acquisitions: Cases, Materials and Problems, published by Aspen.
The Patrick J. McDonough Directorship is a result of the generosity of Howrey LLP in memory of Patrick McDonough, who passed away in March, 2009. Mr. McDonough was a Loyola Law School graduate who was part of Howrey’s insurance recovery practice group. During an outstanding legal career, which included acting as general counsel to the international insurance and consulting firm Johnson & Higgins and participating in the founding of the Institute for Corporate Counsel, Mr. McDonough was well known for mentoring young attorneys and helping them to advance their careers.
In November 2009, then Loyola Law School Dean Victor Gold announced the appointment of Dana Warren as the first Patrick J. McDonough Director of the Business Law Practicum. Together with Faculty Co-Director Therese Maynard, Professor Warren published a casebook through Aspen Publishers, which is based on the Business Planning course materials. Now in its second edition, Business Planning I: Financing the Start-Up Business and Venture Capital Financing, 2d. Ed. is available here. Since its inception at Loyola, Business Planning I has grown in popularity among students, with the course now being offered in several sections during both the Fall and Spring semesters. In July 2015, Professor Shannon Treviño succeeded Professor Warren as Director following his retirement.