Journalist Law School
Loyola Law School is offering fellowships to 35 professional journalists who have a minimum of three years of experience as a journalist.
The challenge of reporting on the legal system without a law degree is daunting. To help support journalists who cover the courts on national, regional or local levels, the Civil Justice Program at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, has developed the journalist law program consisting of a four-day intensive seminar on the legal system. Lectures, lodging and most meals are covered by the program. View the program overview or for further details.
The Ninth-Annual Journalist Law School fellowship will be held in May or June 2014. Dates will be announced on this page once confirmed.
About the Application Process
- Applications will be due in spring 2014. Specific dates will be announced once the fellowship dates are secured.
- To be notified when dates are available and applications being accepted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fellowship Covers:
- One-half of travel expenses*
Journalist Law School Activities Include:
- Classes with experienced law faculty who understand deadline pressure.
- Lectures by practicing journalist-lawyers.
- Opportunities to meet informally with state and federal judges, other journalists and leading members of the Bar.
- A certificate of completion, to be awarded at the end of the program.
The classes will take place in the Frank Gehry-designed Girardi Advocacy Center, containing state-of-the-art teaching facilities and courtrooms. The campus is located in downtown Los Angeles within walking distance of the L.A. LIVE entertainment hub and Staples Center, home of the Los Angeles Lakers, Clippers and Kings.
* Travel expenses up to a maximum of $300
A link to the 2014 application will be available here once available.
JLS staff will notify all applicants about their admission status.
For questions about the substance of the Journalist Law School curriculum, please contact Brian Costello, deputy director of communications. For logistical questions, please contact Deanna Donnini, director of conferences and events. Contact information is at right.