The Educator as Advocate: Empowering Educators to Create an Inclusive and Compassionate Learning Environment
The second in a two-part series of symposia for teachers, school administrators, and anyone who works with public school children, “The Educator as Advocate: Empowering Educators to Create an Inclusive and Compassionate Learning Environment” will examine the uses of education law to advocate for social justice in the classroom. Bringing together educators, child advocates, and attorneys, its focus will be multifaceted: How education law can be used to remediate the educational inequities experienced by at-risk, mentally ill, and disabled children in schools; how school policy changes and legislation might address systemic inequities and protect students from overzealous policing; how the advocate educators can drive policy changes; and what protections are in place to empower educators to protect the rights of the students they teach and mentor.
Hear Monica Garcia, LAUSD Board of Education, describe how she and other board members balance the needs of students and teachers to create compassionate and inclusive learning environments in the second largest school district in the USA.
- Top Ten Myths in Education Law
- Our Most Vulnerable Students: Ensuring Implementation of Section 504, McKinney Vento, and Juvenile Court Protections
- The Rights of Students and Teachers: Balancing the Needs of Students and Educators in a City-Sized School District
- Collateral Consequences: Why Everything You Write About Your Students Matters
- Protecting the Advocate Educator: The Rights of Teachers to Protect the Civil Rights of Students
- Panel includes Mark Geragos, Esq., Criminal Defense and Civil Attorney
- Safety vs. the Inclusive Learning Environment: The Educators’ Role in Balancing Student Rights with School Safety in Highly Policed Schools
- How to Drive Change: A Toolbox for Advocate Teachers and Administrators
FOR MORE DETAILS OR TO REGISTER, PLEASE GO HERE.
Center for Juvenile Law & Policy
919 Albany Street
Los Angeles, CA 90006