Georgene M. VairoProfessor of Law
David P. Leonard Chair
BA, Sweet Briar College, Phi Beta Kappa
MEd, with distinction, University of Virginia
JD, cum laude, Fordham University
Georgene Vairo joined Loyola's faculty in 1995. From 1982-1995, she was a member of the faculty of Fordham Law School. During her tenure there, she served as an associate dean (1987-1995) and was appointed to the Leonard F. Manning Distinguished Chair (1994). Prior to her teaching career, she developed a love for civil procedure while serving as the first law clerk to the Honorable Joseph M. McLaughlin, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit when he served on the District Court for the Eastern District of New York. She also was an associate specializing in antitrust law at the New York law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom. Vairo is a member of the American Law Institute and has served as an expert in several major mass tort litigations.
In the News
- Columnist on forum selection problems for the National Law Journal
- Monthly Contributor to LexisNexis Emerging Issue Analysis
- Georgene Vairo, "Is the Class Action Really Dead? Is that Good or Bad for Class Members?," 64 Emory L.J. 477 (2014).
- Georgene Vairo, "Lessons Learned by the Reporter: Is Disaggregation the Answer to the Asbestos Mess?," 88 Tulane L. Rev. 1039 (2014)
- Georgene Vairo, "What Goes Around, Comes Around; From the Rector of Barkway to Knowles," 32 Univ. Texas Rev. of Litig. 721 (2013)
- Georgene Vairo, "The Complete CAFA: Analysis and Developments Under the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005," LexisNexis (September 2011)
- Georgene Vairo, "How Lawyers Built the Rule of Law," Trial (July 2011) (Book Review of Stuart M. Speiser’s The Founding Lawyers and America’s Quest for Justice (2011))
- Georgene Vairo, "Why I Don’t Teach Federal Courts Anymore, But Maybe Am Or Will Again," 53 St. Louis University Law Review 843 (2009).
- Georgene Vairo, "The Use of Sanctions in Arbitration Proceedings," AAA Handbook on Commercial Arbitration (2010)
- Georgene M. Vairo, Symposium, "Summary Judgment on the Rise: Is Justice Falling?, Defending Against Summary Justice: The Role Of The Appellate Courts" (Pound Civil Justice Institute 2008 Forum for State Appellate Court Judges)
- "Why Me? The Role of Private Trustees in Complex Claims Resolution," The Civil Trial: Adaptations and Alternatives, 57 Stanford L. Rev. 1391 (2005)
- Vairo, Georgene, "Global Peace For Whom? Finality and Due Process" (National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges November 2005)
- Vairo, Georgene, "Mass Tort Bankruptcies: The Who, The Why, and The How," 78 Amer. Bank. L.J. 93 (2004).
- Vairo, Georgene M., Foreward, "Happy (?) Birthday Rule 11," 37 Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 515 (2004) (Symposium ed.).
- Vairo, Georgene M., "Rule 11 Sanctions: Case Law Perspectives and Preventive Measures" (3d ed. 2003).
- Vairo, Georgene M., Remedies for Victims of Terrorism, 35 Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 1265 (2002).
- Linda Mullenix, Martin Redish & Georgene Vairo, "Understanding Federal Courts and Federal Jurisdiction" (Matthew Bender 1998)
- Vairo, Georgene, "Rule 11, The Profession and the Public Perception Thereof," 67 Fordham L. Rev. 589 (1998) (Special Issue, The Legal Profession: The Impact of Law and Legal Theory)
- Vairo, Georgene, "Georgine, The Dalkon Shield Claimants Trust, and The Rhetoric of Mass Tort Claims Resolution," 31 Loyola L. Rev. 79 (1997)
- Vairo, "The Dalkon Shield Claimants Trust: Paradigm Lost (or Found)," 61 Fordham L. Rev. 617 (1992)
- Member of the Board of Editors, Moore's Federal Practice
- Member of the Board of Overseers, Rand Institute for Civil Justice
- Chairperson of the Dalkon Shield Claimants Trust (1987-2000)