Seagull Haiyan SongVisiting Associate Professor of Law
Director, Asia-America Law Institute
BA, Beijing Language University
LLM, Hong Kong University
LLM, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
JSD, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
After 15 years of practice in the field of intellectual property law at international law firms and multinational company in both China and the United States, Professor Song joined Loyola Law School, Los Angeles in 2012. She is also a guest professor of law at Beijing University School of Transnational Law and China Renmin University Intellectual Property Academy. Song is a former senior counsel with Disney, overseeing the intellectual property program in the Asia Pacific region. Before joining Disney, she was a former consultant with Arnold & Porter LLP and a former partner with King and Wood PRC Lawyers, heading the intellectual property practice of the firm’s Shanghai Office. Song has been acclaimed as the "Asia Law Leading Lawyer" in the field of intellectual property for five consecutive years since 2006. She is a member of the Bar of the State of California and the Bar of the People's Republic of China.
- Seagull Haiyan Song, Entertainment Law, The Commercial Press (2014, Chinese language).
- Seagull Haiyan Song and Haining Song, Editor and co-translator, "Selected Chinese Patent Cases," Wolters Kluwer (2014); ISBN 9041150145
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "New Challenges of Chinese Copyright Law in the Digital Age-A Comparative Copyright Analysis of ISP Liability, Fair Use and Sports Telecasts," Kluwer Law International (2012), ISBN 978-90-411-3793-7
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "New Challenges of Chinese Copyright Law in the Digital Age" in Chinese language version, The Commercial Press (2011); ISBN 978-7-100-08296-9
- Seagull Haiyan Song, “China’s Copyright Protection for Audio-Visual Works: A Comparison with Europe and the U.S.,” International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition (forthcoming 2015).
- Seagull Haiyan Song, “2013 US-China IP Dialogue White Paper”, one of the five US participating experts, co-released by the US Chamber of Commerce and Renmin University Law School.
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "Reevaluating Fair Use in China - A Comparative Copyright Analysis of Chinese Fair Use Legislation, The U.S. Fair Use Doctrine, and the European Fair Dealing Model," IDEA: The Intellectual Property Law Review (Volume 51, 2011).
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "How Should China Respond to Online Piracy of Sports Telecasts? A Comparative Study of Chinese Copyright Legislation to the US and European Legislation," University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal (Volume IX 2010;
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "A Comparative Copyright Analysis of ISP Liability in China Versus the Unites States and Europe," The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 27 (July 2010).
- Seagull Haiyan Song and Yuezhu Xu, "Why Were There Different Outcomes in Two Chinese ISP cases?" The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 25 (Sept. 2008).
- “Recent Developments on Chinese Entertainment Law,” Berkeley Law School Asia Legal Speaker Series (Feb. 2015, Berkeley)
- "Hollywood and Its Entertainment Law Development,” Beijing Film Academy (Dec. 2014, Beijing)
- “Recent Development on the US Entertainment Law,” Beijing People’s High Court (Dec. 2014, Beijing)
- “Copyright Protection of Reality TV—A Comparative Perspective,” panel speaker at the 3rd US-China IP Summit, Loyola Law School (November 2014, Los Angeles)
- “When Hollywood Meets Silicon Valley,” Taiwan Tsinghua University School of Law (April 2014, Taiwan)
- “The Highlights of 2013 PRC Copyright Law Reform,” Taiwan Social Science Academy (April 2014, Taipei)
- “China High-Tech Surge in the United States,” moderating two panels hosted by the American Chamber of Commerce and Asia Society (April 2014, Beijing and Shanghai)
- “Transform Hollywood,” University of Las Vegas Law School Faculty Workshop Series, (April 2014, Las Vegas)
- “Asian-Pacific IP Symposium,” China Renmin University School of Law (October 2013, Suzhou)
- “13TH Intellectual Property Scholar Conference,” Cardozo Law School (August 2013, New York)
- “Update on the Ten Leading IP Cases in the U.S. in 2012,” The Supreme Court of China (January 2013, Beijing)
- “New Developments in Chinese IP Law,” Berkeley Center for Law & Technology (October 2012, Berkeley)
- “US-China Intellectual Property Adjudication Conference,” China Renmin University School of Law (May 2012, Beijing)
- “Comparative Copyright Analysis ISP Liability,” Beijing University School of Law (March 2011, Beijing)
- “Harmonizing International Law-An IP Perspective,” American Society of International Law Annual Meeting (March 2011, Washington DC )
- “100 Anniversary of Chinese Copyright Law,” International IP Forum at China Renmin University (October 2010, Beijing)
- “The Stranger Sees Only What S/he Knows,” Legal Ethics Panel Discussion organized by Berkeley Law School and International House (April 2009, Berkeley)
- “China’s IP Laws, Ambush Marketing, and Piracy,” Bar Association of San Francisco (November 2008, San Francisco)
- “China IPR Enforcement and Proposed New Chinese Patent Law,” American University Washington College of Law, International Patent Webinar Series (October 2008)
- “Update on IPR Legislation and Enforcement in China,” Motion Picture Association of America (October 2008, Los Angeles)
- “Entertainment Deal Making in the Post-2008 Olympic Games Era,” Berkeley Center for Law, Business and Economics (September 2008, Berkeley)
- “USPTO CHINA IPR CONFERENCE--Coalition of Sports Organization,” USPTO Global Intellectual Property Academy (July 2008, Alexandria Virginia)
- “The 2008 Beijing Olympic Games: A Springboard to a New Era of Entertainment Deal Making in China?” USC Intellectual Property Institute (March 2008, Los Angeles)
- Advisory Board Member and Executive Committee Member of Asia Society Southern California Center
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Copyright Society of the U.S.
- Advisory Board Member of China Intellectual Property Law Committee
Seagull Haiyan Song
919 Albany St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015