Cesare P.R. RomanoProfessor of Law
W. Joseph Ford Fellow
MA (Laurea) in Political Science, University of Milano
DES (Diplôme des Études Superieures), Graduate Institute of International Studies, University of Geneva
LLM, New York University Law School
PhD (Doctorat), Graduate Institute of International Studies, University of Geneva
Cesare P.R. Romano holds degrees in three different disciplines (political science, international relations and law) from three countries (Italy, Switzerland and the United States). His scholarship and teaching reflect the variety of his background.
His expertise is in public international law, and in particular dispute settlement, international environmental law, international human rights and international criminal and humanitarian law. However, it is probably the field international courts and tribunals where he has made to date the greatest contribution, publishing numerous articles and books. Between 1997 and 2006, he created, developed and managed the Project on International Courts and Tribunals (www.pict-pcti.org), a joint undertaking of the Center on International Cooperation, New York University, and the Centre for International Courts and Tribunals at University College London, becoming a world-renowned authority in the field. In 2007, he became one of the Directors of PICT.
Before joining Loyola Law School Los Angeles, Prof. Romano taught as visiting or adjunct professor in a number of institutions in the U.S. and Europe.
- Co-Director, Project on International Courts and Tribunals (PICT), www.aict-ctia.org.
- Member, American Society of International Law.
- American Bar Association, International Courts Committee, Section of International Law.
- Member, Società Italiana di Diritto Internazionale.
- Member, International Law Association, American Branch.
- "A Taxonomy of International Rule of Law Institutions," Journal of International Dispute Settlement, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2011, pp. 241-277.
- "The Cancun Climate Conference," ASIL Insight, January 21, 2011, Vol. 15, Issue 41 (with Elizabeth Burleson).
- "The role of experts in international adjudication - Le rôle des experts dans l'adjudication international," in Société française pour le droit international, Le droin international face auz défis environnementaux: colloques de Aix-en-Provence, Juin 2009 (forthcoming).
- Sands, P./Mackenzie R./Shany Y./Romano C. (eds.), Manual on International Courts and Tribunals, 2nd ed., Oxford, OUP 2010.
- "Deciphering the Grammar of the International Jurisprudential Dialogue," NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, Vol. 41, No. 4, 2009, pp. 755-787.
- "Can You Hear Me Now? Making the Case for Extending the International Judicial Network," Chicago Journal of International Law, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2009, pp. 233-273.
- Romano C. (ed.), The United States and International Courts and Tribunals, Cambridge, CUP, 2009.
- "The United States and International Courts: Getting the Cost-Benefit Analysis Right," in Romano C. (ed.), The Sword and the Scales: The United States and International Courts and Tribunals, Cambridge, CUP, 2009, pp. 419-444.
- International Courts (International Legal Developments in Review: 2008), 43 Int'l Law 425 (Summer 2009).
- Romano C. (ed.), The United States and International Courts and Tribunals, Cambridge, CUP, 2008.
- "International Courts and Tribunals” in Shepard Forman, Bruce Jones (eds.), Cooperating for Peace and Security: Evolving Institutions and Arrangements in a Context of Changing US Security Policy, Cambridge, CUP, 2008.
- "Progress in International Adjudication: Revisiting Hudson’s Assessment of the Future of International Courts”, in Miller R./Bratspies R. (eds.), Progress in International Law, Leiden, Brill, 2008, pp. 433–450.
- "Mixed Criminal Tribunals”, Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, 3rd rev. ed., (forthcoming)
- Terris, D./Romano, C./Swigart, L., The International Judge: An Introduction to the Men and Women who Decide the World’s Cases, Brandeis University Press (USA publ. ISBN 978-1584656661) – Oxford University Press (rest of the world ISBN 978-0-19-923873-6), 2007.
- "International Dispute Settlement”, in Bodansky D./Brunnée, J./Hey, E. (eds.), Oxford Handbook of International Environmental Law, Oxford, OUP, 2007, pp. 1038-1056.
- "The Shift from the Consensual to the Compulsory Paradigm in International Adjudication: Elements for a Theory of Consent”, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2007, pp. 791-872.
- "El lado oscuro de la luna: fragmentación de las instituciones que aplican normas jurídicas internacionales”, Puente @ Europa, Vol. 5, No. 2, July 2007, "El sistema jurídico internacional y sus tensiones: fragmentación y vocación universal", pp. 28-36.
- “Case C-459/03 Commission v. Ireland”, American Journal of International Law, Vol. 101, 2007, pp.171-178.
- "Global Courts”, in Roland Robertson & Jan Aart Scholte (eds.), Encyclopedia of Globalization, New York, Routledge, 2006, pp. 232-236.
- Romano C., Nollkaemper, A., Kleffner, J. (eds.), "Internationalized Criminal Courts and Tribunals: Sierra Leone, East Timor, Kosovo and Cambodia," Oxford, OUP, 2004 (ISBN 0199276749).
Cesare P.R. Romano
919 Albany St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
- International Law
- International Protection of Human Rights
- International Human Rights Clinic
- International Criminal Law & Policy
- International Environmental Law
- Law of Global Warming
- Law and Policy of the United Nations