Simona GrossiProfessor of Law
JD, L.U.I.S.S. University, Rome, Italy
LLM, University of California at Berkeley, School of Law
JSD, University of California at Berkeley, School of Law
"I think there is a profound and enduring beauty
in simplicity, in clarity, in efficiency.
True simplicity is derived from so much more than
just the absence of clutter and ornamentations.
It's about bringing order to complexity."
-- Jonathan Ive
Professor Grossi graduated from L.U.I.S.S. University, Rome, Italy in 2002. She completed her master's degree (LL.M.) and doctoral program (J.S.D.) at UC Berkeley, School of Law. She worked for the U.N. from 2000 to 2002 and then went into private practice and worked for Clifford Chance LLP and Bonelli Erede Pappalardo doing national and transnational litigation from 2002 to 2008. She worked for Judge Charles Breyer at the USDC for the Northern District of California in 2010. Professor Grossi joined Loyola Law School L.A. in 2010. She was elected to the American Law Institute (ALI) in 2011. She is also a member of the International Association of Procedural Law (IAPL). Her scholarship focuses on civil procedure and federal courts. Professor Grossi is currently Chair of the AALS Executive Committee for the Section on Civil Procedure.
- The Claim Prism, forthcoming: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2740085
- The Claim-Centered Approach to Arising-Under Jurisdiction: A Brief Rejoinder to Professor Mulligan, 89 Wash. L. Rev. 487 (2014).
- Personal Jurisdiction: A Doctrinal Labyrinth With No Exit," 47 Akron L. Rev. 617 (2014).
- Forum Non Conveniens as a Jurisdictional Doctrine," 75 U. Pitt. L. Rev. 1 (2013).
- A Modified Theory of the Law of Federal Courts: The Case of Arising Under Jurisdiction," 88 Wash. L. Rev. 3 (2013).
- Rethinking The Harmonization of Jurisdictional Law," 86 Tul. L. Rev. 623 (2012).
- A Comparative Analysis Between the Italian Civil Proceedings and the American Civil Proceedings Before Federal Courts, 20 Ind. Int'l & Comp. L. Rev. 213 (2010).
- The Claim in the Federal Court System, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.
- California Civil Procedure: Rules, Comments, Cases & Practices (with Allan Ides), Carolina Academic Press, forthcoming.
- Federal Courts: Principles, Cases & Practices (with Allan Ides) West Academic Publishing, forthcoming.
- Civil Procedure: Cases & Problems (with Allan Ides & Christopher N. May) (Aspen, 5th ed., 2016).
- Constitutional Law: National Power and Federalism (with Allan Ides & Christopher N. May) (Aspen 2016, 7th ed.).
- Constitutional Law: Individual Rights (with Allan Ides & Christopher N. May) (Aspen, 7th ed., 2016).
- The US Supreme Court and the Modern Common Law Approach to the Decision Making Process, Cambridge University Press (2015).
- Transnational Litigation: A practitioner’s Guide. Italy. Oxford University Press, March 2010.
- Commentary To The Italian Code Of Civil Procedure, Oxford University Press, February 2010 - http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Law/CivilProcedureandLitigation/?view=usa&ci=9780195372717
- Supreme Court Update, 2015 AALS CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION NEWSLETTER (2015) (with Allan Ides).
- Supreme Court Update, 2014 AALS CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION NEWSLETTER (2014) (with Allan Ides).
- Supreme Court to Revisit Qualified Immunity and Pleading Standards (with Allan Ides), American Bar Association Section of Litigation: Civil Rights (2014) https://apps.americanbar.org/litigation/committees/civil/home.html
- Supreme Court Update, 2013 AALS CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION NEWSLETTER (2013) (with Allan Ides).
- The Purposeful Availment Trap (with Allan Ides), 7 Federal Courts Law Review 1 (2013), also available at http://www.fclr.org/fclr/articles/html/2010/Ides.pdf
- Constitutional Courts as Lawmakers: A Commentary on the Lecture by Prof. Dr. Rupert Scholz, 'Constitutional Court Jurisdiction between Constitutional Law and Politics – Taking the German Federal Constitutional Court as an Example. This paper was presented at the conference "The Mission and the Condition of the Supreme Court in the Contemporary Society," organized by the Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan, July 2013 (available on SSRN at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2346446)
- Toward Transnational Standards of Judicial Decisionmaking (with Allan Ides), presented to the International Association of Procedural Law (IAPL) World Congress on transnational commercial litigation (2013) http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2346512
- Pleading Standards and Propriety of Filing Rule 12(c) Motion after Discovery (October 10, 2012) (with Allan Ides) https://advance.lexis.com/GoToContentView?requestid=f976152b-104c-b941-2a7b-8df422a4c8d9&crid=33cbe1b7-f4d6-651a-52cb-c2c3ff7e818b
- Interpleader and Potential Tort Liability of Negligent Stakeholders (October 10, 2012) (with Allan Ides) https://advance.lexis.com/GoToContentView?requestid=c83484ef-daad-1fb4-823d-1e136faac881&crid=9569e8c6-3fd9-22e3-ead4-5869ca81892a
- Mootness and a Defendant's Post-Certiorari Cessation of Challenged Activity (November 29, 2012) (with Allan Ides) https://advance.lexis.com/GoToContentView?requestid=9b4b68ab-1a37-8fa1-35d8-9b6e2b7d2e79&crid=ff4b7120-af14-cf0e-5b5a-287c54f1f80b
- Aggregation and the Distinction between Separate and Distinct Claims (November 29, 2012) (with Allan Ides) https://advance.lexis.com/GoToContentView?requestid=e17c01d2-7464-3e3d-ac51-a81951e57a6a&crid=fa2f74bf-9b01-ee9d-4188-de7775e690e4