Susan Smith BakhshianClinical Professor of Law
Director of Academic Success and Bar Programs
BS, summa cum laude, California State University Northridge
JD, magna cum laude, Loyola Law School, Order of the Coif
After graduating from Loyola Law School's evening program, Susan Smith Bakhshian practiced with a Los Angeles law firm as a trial attorney, representing clients in a variety of environmental and general litigation matters. Her clients ranged from multinational oil companies to a small chain of non-profit retail stores here in Southern California. Before joining the faculty at Loyola, Bakhshian taught at Whittier Law School. She has been a member of the Loyola Law School faculty since 1997 and she became the Director of Bar Programs and Academic Success in 2011.
- Central States Legal Writing Conference, fall 2013, panel presentation, Critiquing our Critiques: Best Practices in Legal Writing Grading
- West Coast Consortium of Academic Support Professionals, fall 2013, presentation: No Credit, No Problem: Using Visuals to Teach Outlining & Essay Writing
- Rocky Mountain Legal Writing Conference, spring 2014, presentation: Got 5 Minutes? Teach Grammar, Writing Mechanics, & More
- Association of Academic Support Educators Conference, summer 2014, presentation: The First Domino: Teaching Note Taking
- Presenter, Western States Regional Legal Writing Conference, August 2012 and March 2012, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, “The Real Thing: Using Unedited Cases and Jury Instructions as Class Exercises”
- Presenter, National Legal Writing Conference, June 2012, “Starting at the Finish Line: How to Revitalize Academic Success with an Integrated Program of Lawyering Skills and Bar Exam Skills,” (Co-presenters Assoc. Dean Jean Boylan, Asst. Director of Academic Success Prof. Anne Wells)
- Presenter, Central States Regional Legal Writing Conference, September 2011 and Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2011, “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service: Interpreting the Academic Dress Code.” (Co-presenter Professor Allison Martin, Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis)
- Presenter, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2010, “Have your Power Point Slides Lost their Luster? Tone Up Your Slides to Teach Better”
- Presenter, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2009, and Empire State Legal Writing Conference May 2010, “Stop the Bleeding: Returning Legal Writing Assignments with Easy In-Class Exercises to Ease the Pain”
- Presenter, Central States Regional Legal Writing Conference, September 2009, “Heads I Win – Tails You Lose: How to Assign a Client in Persuasive Legal Writing Assignments,” (Co-presenter Professor Joel Schumm, Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis)
- Presenter & Panelist, National Legal Writing Conference, July 2008, "Bar Exam Prep Courses: Legal Writing, Academic Support, Both, or Something Else"
- Presenter, Central States Regional Legal Writing Conference, October 2007, "Teaching Professionalism from Day One"
- Presenter, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2007, "New Tricks for Old Dogs" (teaching strategies for legal writing professors)
- Presenter, National Legal Writing Conference, July 2006, "Wave of the Future or Low Tide: Offering a Bar Exam Writing Course for Credit"
- Presenter & Panelist, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, February 2006, "Too Much, Too Little or Just 'Write': What is the 'Right' Approach to Critiquing Student Drafts?"
919 Albany St.
Los angeles, CA 90015
- California Civil Procedure
- Law & Process: Privacy Torts
- Fundamentals of Bar Exam Writing
- Ethical Lawyering
- Legal Drafting
- Legal Research and Writing
- Introduction to Negotiation